Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I yam what I yam

Ahhhhh I am not at work today and my bloody word it feels good!

On the way home yesterday I was listening to my ipod in utter bliss. I had it on shuffle which I hadn't done for a while so kept going "Oh I love this song" or "OH MY GOD, I forgot about this song" and "This song reminds me of ...". A song came on that just transported me back to high school. The year is 1998. I am in year 10 and I am all of 16 years-old. Cry by the Mavis's. :) Happy, happy memories. I LOVED this band. Basically I wanted to be Becky. I loved that she knew who she was, what she liked and wore her influences on her sleeve. She dressed for her. It was upon that influence that I decided that I would wear what I wanted to wear (which was basically what she wore) Yes, yes I see what I was doing there.

I also got to thinking, who would be if we if we didn't let other peoples opinions get to us? If we were brave enough to stick up our finger to the world and everyone who told us different is bad! Perhaps though its our own want to fit in. Certainly when you are 16 anyway!

I wonder who I would be now or what I would be doing if I was happy to walk my own path. I am not (too) ashamed to say that I have allowed myself to be influenced at points of my life when I haven't been strong enough to fight for what I want. Now ... at 28 ... hells yes I am going to fight for what I want and who I want to be.

I remember my old boss (who was generally lovely for working in insurance) saying to me and about me "Kelly is different" "Our Kell is a bit different" Well yes I am mother fucker! If we are going by the standard that you are normal then, yes, I am happy to be different.

Music. I love what it can do to us and the journey it can take you on.

No comments: