Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sorry

How many times a day do you say sorry?


You bump into someone by accident.
"Sorry!"
You do the side step thing at the same time as another person coming the other way.
"Sorry!"
You mishear something.
"Sorry?"
Do you say it enough? Or maybe you are like me and say it too much. 


I remember my yoga teacher from years ago (when I was around 21) telling me that she noticed I said sorry a lot. She would ask "Why are you saying sorry? You didn't do anything wrong." after I said "Sorry" for something trivial like missing one of the poses. 


She grabbed me after class one day and said. "Sorry is a wonderful word when said for the right reasons. You give your power away when you say it so often in the way you do." Apparently this is a very 'Western' thing to do.


I had never thought if it that way. I thought I was being polite, but she is/was right. The more people hear it from you the more they feel like they have some sort of power or authority over you. 


When you are walking and someone is walking the opposite direction so someone has to move out of the way. I say "Sorry" even though I wasn't actually doing anything wrong. 


I find myself getting pissed off when they don't say "sorry" as well because then I think FUCK, how rude and it wasn't MY fault, it should have been a mutual "sorry". As cranky as this makes me, at the end of the day I would rather be the kind of person who actually says sorry in that situation rather than not. 


I still find this tough. I know I still do it. Do you? 

No comments: